Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Thoughts and Thoreau

My dad always used to tell me, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." I couldn't help thinking about that the whole class period, when we were talking about how Thoreau imitated Emerson. It was just so ironic to me, because the man whom Thoreau imitated out of admiration said, "Imitation is suicide." So, in his case it would appear that imitation wouldn't be at all flattering to Emerson, because that means Thoreau obviously didn't read "Self-Reliance". Well, at least not yet. Thoreau obviously became quite self-reliant. My favorite quote that was mentioned in class on Thursday was "I am under an awful necessity to be what I am." Mostly, because I've been struggling with that same weight. It's harder than you think. But that's one thing I won't resign. I know we also talked about how in some cases the resistance becomes foolishness. Sometimes, if we "embrace the slave mentality" as Steen said in class, happiness will come naturally. That's what I've been doing in most areas of my life since I've been breathing, but in others I was foolishly persistent. I've recently reversed those roles and I've never been happier. For example, my whole life I just went along with what everyone expected from me. Yeah, I was an individual, but I only showed my individuality around the people who wanted to see it. Until one day after watching "The Dead Poet's Society," I realized that if I died, My parents wouldn't have ever known me. Really known who I was-I mean. In that movie they quote Thoreau's Walden, and the part that got me is when he says, "when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." So, I dropped the slave mentality on that area of my life, and I started allowing some relief from the "awful necessity to be what I am." On the other hand, I was foolishly persistent in love. I dated this guy for 3 years who was a complete jerk. Now, I realize that I liked the relationship, because it was difficult. I enjoyed the struggle. "A foolish consistency in the hobgoblin of little minds" (Emerson). Resistance became familiar to me, so I just remained consistent. I realized things don't always have to be a fight. Now, I'm dating someone who treats me wonderfully. Now, you might be wondering how this whole dating thing relates. Well, it does and here's why.
When I started dating my current boyfriend (Nathan), My brother (Jordy) told me he didn't respect me anymore, because I was taking the easy route.
So, basically his argument was that with my former boyfriend (Kaleb) I'd had this epic love full of anger, passion, heartbreak, which literally drove me insane and I fought really hard to stay with him and stay happy. That's why Jordy respected me. He said it was so admirable to see the way I fought for love.
On the other hand, Nathan treats me really well, and everything is really easy. It's easy to laugh, to smile, and to find peace of mind. I love it! I love not having to struggle every second. Maybe that's a slave mentality, like my brother seems to think, but if it is- I embrace it. I realized that sometimes you just gotta let yourself be happy. That's what I'm doing now. So, I know it's a lot to follow, but that's how I've reversed the roles. I'm more open about what I want to do with my life. I make my own decisions now, although my parents still think they have the authority to make them for me. Yet, in way, I suppose I can see the appeal of the life of non-resistance. At the end of the day, I think it just depends on what makes you happy.
Like Tony said in class, it probably made Thoreau super happy to resist and he didn't see it as a burden. To some people, Resistance is all that stands in the way of their happiness.

Favorite Quotes:
"What is once well done is done for ever."
"I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion."
"It is not desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right."

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the irony you point out at the beginning of your blog post! It’s funny how life works that way at times. I suppose those Emerson wanted people to imitate him in the idea of self reliance just maybe not in the exact same way. Emerson wanted people to follow him into self reliance but in doing so each would have their own self path.

    I think in life we all struggle with the “awful necessity to be what I am” and it says a lot about our character if we do or not decide to embrace this struggle. Some people think it too hard and allow themselves to be content in the dullness of conformity, too scared to become their own person. It may be a struggle to assert your own self and your own personality but in the end your heart will be more content with whom you’ve let yourself become then letting others form who you will be.

    ReplyDelete