Thursday, February 4, 2010

This week's discussion was great! Other than talking about the ninja-like characteristics that women have, we talked about another point that interested me:Eliza Wharton's circumstances in comparison to those of modern times. In alot of ways things have changed, but there are still some of the same problems. Women have a lot more freedom, but I think society still views women in a negative light if they live an independent lifestyle. Would Eliza Wharton's story have been so tragic if her society had offered her more than marriage as a way of life? Probably not. Considering Marriage was the only thing a woman could really achieve with her life, well, marriage and motherhood(but only if motherhood was within marriage), there are a lot more choices for women in modern society. We,too, can have sucessful careers in nearly any field we choose, and we still have the option of marriage and motherhood if we desire it.

This past week I read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. That novel is set in the future at a point when birthrates are really low. Women are no longer allowed to read or write, which suggests that it is the women's education that leads them away from a life of motherhood. Honestly, there is some truth in this. More women are deciding not to have children or to wait much longer to have them if they do.In my case, I still have grad school to look forward to and whatever career follows that. I'd like to wait till all of that stuff is figured out. It's just easier. Anyway, I've still kinda got my mind set on the horrors within The Handmaid's Tale.

...So, I'm pretty frustrated, because I tried to submit my blog and the action "failed." I don't know why, but some of it wasn't auto-saved.So, half of my stuff isn't here anymore...anyway it was somewhere along these lines...

This book along with The Handmaid's Tale really got me thinking about women's rights. It was kinda odd how none of Eliza's friends really promoted or stuck up for Eliza's freedom as a woman. Yet, it's impossible for us to completely understand, because we can't place ourselves in their society to understand the restrictions on their freedom. If anyone is interested in this view, though, I strongly suggest The Handmaid's Tale. It's really good, and I think there is a movie,too. It kinda takes a glimpse at the future, and how women's freedom and improved educational opportunities presented a danger to society, but also the dangers that came once their rights were taken away again.

1 comment:

  1. I think we do have more choices today and aren't forced into marriage or maidenhood but I think it’s ultimately not about marriage but about companionship. Nowadays women are not looked down upon for remaining independent but I think they still long to be with someone even if it’s not in marriage. The need to have someone by our side is a part of human nature and not something history will allow us to grow out of.

    ReplyDelete